Event: Tropical Cyclone Statement
Sender Name: NWS Tampa Bay Ruskin FL
Description: This product covers West Central and Southwest Florida
DISTURBANCE OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO EXPECTED TO DEVELOP
INTO A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT
* CHANGES TO WATCHES AND WARNINGS:
– A Storm Surge Watch and Tropical Storm Watch have been issued
for Coastal Levy
– A Storm Surge Watch has been issued for Coastal Citrus, Coastal
Hernando, Coastal Pasco, and Pinellas
* CURRENT WATCHES AND WARNINGS:
– A Storm Surge Watch and Tropical Storm Watch are in effect for
– A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for Coastal Citrus, Coastal
Hernando, Coastal Pasco, and Pinellas
* STORM INFORMATION:
– About 910 miles west-southwest of Cedar Key FL or about 880
miles west-southwest of Mouth of Tampa Bay FL
– 22.4N 95.7W
– Storm Intensity 35 mph
– Movement North or 355 degrees at 8 mph
Potential Tropical Cyclone 16 is situated over the southwest Gulf of
Mexico and is expected to move northeast and approach the Florida
panhandle over the next 36-48 hours. Primary concerns along the Florida
west coast will be for heavy rainfall and minor coastal flooding.
Prepare for life-threatening surge having possible significant impacts
across the west central Florida coast. Potential impacts in this area
– Areas of inundation with storm surge flooding accentuated by
waves. Damage to several buildings, mainly near the coast.
– Sections of near-shore escape routes and secondary roads become
weakened or washed out, especially in usually vulnerable low
– Major beach erosion with heavy surf breaching dunes. Strong and
numerous rip currents.
– Moderate damage to marinas, docks, boardwalks, and piers.
Several small craft broken away from moorings, especially in
Elsewhere across West Central and Southwest Florida, little to no
impact is anticipated.
* FLOODING RAIN:
Locally heavy rain is possible across West Central and Southwest
Florida Friday night into Saturday.
Prepare for a tornado event having possible limited impacts across
West Central and Southwest Florida. Potential impacts include:
– The occurrence of isolated tornadoes can hinder the execution
of emergency plans during tropical events.
– A few places may experience tornado damage, along with power
and communications disruptions.
– Locations could realize roofs peeled off buildings, chimneys
toppled, mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned,
large tree tops and branches snapped off, shallow-rooted trees
knocked over, moving vehicles blown off roads, and small boats
pulled from moorings.
Gusty winds are possible across West Central and Southwest Florida
Friday night into Saturday, especially along the coast north of Tampa
Instruction: WATCH/WARNING PHASE – Listen to local official for recommended
preparedness actions, including possible evacuation. If ordered to
evacuate, do so immediately.
* OTHER PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION:
Now is the time to check your emergency plan and emergency supplies
kit and take necessary actions to protect your family and secure your
home or business.
When making safety and preparedness decisions, do not focus on the
exact forecast track since hazards such as flooding rain, damaging
wind gusts, storm surge, and tornadoes extend well away from the
center of the storm.
If you live in a place particularly vulnerable to flooding, such as
near the ocean or a large inland lake, in a low-lying or poor drainage
area, or near an already swollen river, plan to move to safe shelter on
Always heed the advice of local officials and comply with orders that
are issued. Do not needlessly jeopardize your life or the lives of
When securing your property, outside preparations should be concluded
as soon as possible before conditions deteriorate. The onset of
strong gusty winds or flooding can cause certain preparedness
activities to become unsafe.
Closely monitor weather.gov, NOAA Weather Radio and local news outlets
for official storm information. Listen for possible changes to the
There is a threat from tornadoes with this storm. Have multiple ways
to receive Tornado Warnings. Be ready to shelter quickly.
* ADDITIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION:
– For information on appropriate preparations see ready.gov
– For information on creating an emergency plan see getagameplan.org
– For additional disaster preparedness information see redcross.org
Link to more Info: http://www.weather.gov
Area Description: Coastal Sarasota; Coastal Manatee; Inland Levy; Coastal Pasco; Highlands; Coastal Hillsborough; Coastal Charlotte; Inland Hernando; Inland Pasco; Inland Manatee; Pinellas; Inland Charlotte; Inland Hillsborough; Coastal Levy; Inland Lee; Polk; Hardee; Inland Sarasota; Coastal Citrus; Inland Citrus; Sumter; DeSoto; Coastal Lee; Coastal Hernando
Message Identifier: NWS-IDP-PROD-3871739
CAP MessageType: Alert
Added note: – Tornado warnngs